Casa del Alfarero is a Christ-Centered organization, that fights against poverty by promoting a personal relationship with God among the beneficiaries and through 5 holistic development programs. We work with at-risk communities in three regions of the country.
Potter’s House is a Christ-centered organization that fights poverty in Guatemala by promoting a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ while deploying holistic development programs that focus on at-risk children and youth.
That every beneficiary child and youth, through their personal relationship with God, will reach the maturity they need to pursue their own holistic development and will contribute in the fight against poverty by influencing their family, community and nation.
We provide medical attention through our medical clinic, micro-loans for entrepreneurs or business owners, after-school program in our Education Program, deliver bags of food to the Treasures in need in the community, dignified home for a family in need, prayer visits, trainings and workshops, etc.
We currently have 5 holistic programs:
- Education Program: from elementary through high school (secondary school students receive a full scholarship) children receive Workshops and tutoring.
- Health and Nutrition: Medical clinic, laboratory and pharmacy with low cost for the people of the Community. Nutrition program for the Treasures in our Education program ( includes: 3 medical check-ups a year, nutritious lunch every day from Monday to Friday, nutrition evaluation and follow-up.
- Micro-enterprise: Micro-loans and assessment for entrepreneurs and business owners.
- Family development: Spiritual guidance for the families that we serve. Through prayer visits and devotional sessions.
- Community Development: Infrastructure projects and dignified homes for the people in the communities, and involvement in the developing of their community.
All the programs are designed to develop in the beneficiaries, new skills that will help them to overcome their multidimensional poverty.
Potter's House (Casa del Alfarero) fights against the multi-dimensional poverty that our Treasures suffer. We have been called to share the Good News of salvation through Jesus Christ and while doing this, we cannot ignore the needs we encounter.
The Treasures (our beneficiaries) survive with less than $2 a day, this place them in extreme poverty conditions. Our holistic programs and services allow us to reach more than 25,000 Treasures a year in three regions in Guatemala.
During more than 35 years of ministry, we have been able to bless many Treasures through our programs. We have been able to:
- Serve more than 547,000 nutritious lunches
- more than 33,518 disciples through VBS programs, retreats, devotionals, etc.
- more than 115 Treasures have graduated from high school and many of them have pursued a higher education and obtained dignifying jobs
- more than 328 cinder block homes have been built for families in need in Guatemala City and in Chiquimula
- more than 8,190 Prayer visits have been done to families going through difficult times providing them with tools to contribute to their personal growth and relationship with God
- more than 34,000 Treasures have been served through our medical clinics, pharmacy and mobile clinics
(Cumulative statistics from 2012-2020).
Through yearly indicators, based in our annual plan and strategic plan - setting KPI's.
Size and/or structure
Casa del Alfarero was founded by two Guatemalan women who received the support of local and international volunteers to work. Today, Casa del Alfarero has more than 70 people on staff and 400+ national and international volunteers.
In 1992 our holistic programs were stablished and since then, many lives have been transformed through the 5 programs.
Mission, vision and/or values
In 2002, Casa del Alfarero was registered as an international organization and Potter's House is born as a 501 (c) 3 in the United States. In 2012, we implemented a Strategic Plan and the expansion process started in other areas. A new vision and mission was written, focusing in the impact for the Treasures' lives. A regional office was open in Chiquimula and we started to replicate the work model in other areas of the country. In 2021, our 4th community center was launched. Now, Casa del Alfarero is serving the Treasures in three areas of the country.
Encourage among the participants good practices related to impact conditions and continue equipping the staff on the 4C high performance standards through developing competencies established by the 4Cs.
Establish measurement parameters for impact, sustainability, and growth during the implementation of the 2020-2025.
Instil the participation of the Treasures, their families and communities in the spiritual and physical areas (nutrition) for their own development.
Strengthen the country model, mainly in the Central, North-East and Western regions of the country, reflected in the served population, the work model, the systems and organizational structure.
Maintain high quality standards of service to obtain the resources needed for the organization through the building of long term relationships, participative, transformative and Christ-Centered with all our international and national contacts.
Promote the actions that foment the participation and the decision making of the beneficiaries as the protagonist of their own holistic development to fight against welfarism and also promote a personal relationship with God, applying biblical principles and values that show a permanent change in their relationship with their family, community and nation.